Social services for Nazi victims have been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
Funds have been provided by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany for the Emergency Assistance Program for Nazi Victims at the direction of the United States District Court supervising the lawsuit In RE: Holocaust Victim Assets Litigation (Swiss Banks).

Log in



analytics

KIS - English Version
EUROPE: DO THE RIGHT THING ON HEZBOLLAH Print E-mail
Tuesday, 10 May 2016 10:15

- Article by David Harris, CEO of the AJC, published on The World Post  (April 27, 2016) and on the Greek Huffington Post (May 9, 2016), on the EU policy on Hezbollah.

Nearly three years ago, the European Union finally overcame its longstanding resistance and addressed the issue of adding Hezbollah to its terrorism list.

The good news is that the 28 member states, prompted by the determination of Bulgaria, which experienced a deadly Hezbollah attack the year before, and Cyprus, which arrested a Hezbollah operative scouting out sites, took action.

The bad news is that the EU opted to bifurcate Hezbollah and place the "military wing" on the terrorism list, while leaving its "political wing" off it.

If ever there was a distinction without a difference, this was it. Don't take my word for it. None other than Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah's Lebanon-based chief, said as much, stressing that no one could divide his organization.

Mocking the EU's decision, Nasrallah asserted: "A government [of Lebanon] without Hezbollah will never be formed. Just as a joke, I propose that our ministers in the next government be from the military wing of Hezbollah."

It's not often that I agree with Nasrallah, but on this occasion -give him his due - he was right about the EU illusion that there are two Hezbollahs.

Read more...
 
GERMAN F.M. F.W. STEINMEIER NAMED HONORARY MEMBER OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF THESSALONIKI Print E-mail
Wednesday, 07 December 2016 09:12

The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany, Dr. Frank Walter Steinmeier visited Thessaloniki and was proclaimed Honorary Member of the Jewish Community during a highly symbolic ceremony held on Sunday December 4th, 2016, at the Monastiriotes Synagogue. 

Earlier that morning, the German Foreign Minster had inaugurated the exhibition “Divided Memories 1940-1950- The distance between history and experience” at the Macedonian Museum of Modern Art, in Thessaloniki. The exhibition, co-organized by the Goethe Institute Thessaloniki, the Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki, the Macedonian Museum of Modern Art and the Deutches Historisches Museum of Berlin, is hosted by the Macedonian Museum of Modern Art and its duration is until February 26th, 2016.  The Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki participates with a separate section, which includes historic evidence (records – photographs), films and projections of documents, divided into three parts.

Following the inauguration of the exhibition, Minister Steinmeier was proclaimed an honorary member of the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki, in a ceremony at the Monastiriotes Synagogue. Upon his arrival, Dr. Steinmeier visited the exhibit of religious artifacts that is kept in the Synagogue and lit a candle in memory of the 50.000 Jews from Thessaloniki that perished in the Holocaust.

Mr. David Saltiel, President of the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece and the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki welcoming Minister Steinmeier in the Synagogue said: “The Jewish Community of Thessaloniki in acknowledgement of your contribution towards the promotion of the relations between the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki and the Federal Republic of Germany, as well as your commitment towards combating Anti-Semitism and racism, has decided to bestow upon you the title of its Honorary Member.”

Read more...
 
INTERNATIONAL JEWISH ORGANIZATIONS CONDEMN THE ATTACK AT THE PITTSBURGH SYNAGOGUE Print E-mail
Monday, 29 October 2018 12:28
  • WJC President Lauder in aftermath of Pittsburgh attack: We must work together to ensure that our Jewish communities are secure and protected

WJC, NEW YORK - In the aftermath of the deadly shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, World Jewish Congress President Ronald S. Lauder is sounding the alarm on the very real threats facing Jewish communities worldwide and urging government authorities to ramp up security efforts to prevent such an attack from happening again.

“The horrific act of terror that took place on Saturday at the Tree of Life Congregation Synagogue in Pittsburgh has left all Jewish communities, both in the US and abroad, in a state of absolute shock. We have long warned about the sharp rise in antisemitism, on both the far-right and the far-left and have prayed that the many incidences that we have witnessed of late, of vandalism and desecration of property, would never end in loss of life.
“This Shabbat, our worst nightmares came true. Innocent people were killed and wounded for the simple crime of being Jewish. This was an attack specifically targeting the Jewish community, in a deliberate and callous manifestation of antisemitism and hatred, and it should serve as a wake-up call to all Americans that such horror can and has happened here. We must be vigilant in making sure that this never happens again.

Read more...
 
Menachem Simantov: a different rescue story of 600 Christians from Serres Print E-mail
Friday, 24 November 2017 12:24
 
By VICTOR ELIEZER (E.J.P., Nov. 20, 2017)
It was a June 2017 morning when my phone rang and on the end of the line I heard the kind voice of a lady:   - "I want to talk to you about the Jews of Serres, (a city in North Greece),  and the history of my family", she tells me and somehow she surprised me because –to tell the truth– I did not believe there was a single Jew from Serres that was alive. - "I had no idea", I answer, "that you are from Serres, and of course I am interested in your story".

ATHENS----It was a June 2017 morning when my phone rang and on the end of the line I heard the kind voice of a lady:  
- "I want to talk to you about the Jews of Serres, (a city in North Greece), and the history of my family", she tells me and somehow she surprised me because –to tell the truth– I did not believe there was a single Jew from Serres that was alive.

- "I had no idea", I answer, "that you are from Serres, and of course I am interested in your story"
And so, on the evening of Friday, June 13, Mrs. Mimika Simantov-Samouilidou welcomes me in her apartment just opposite the Acropolis. The dining table was full of photos, publications and books. Her discourse is accompanied by photographs of a distant past. Favorite faces, houses and streets that no longer exist. Her voice trembles with emotion when she shows me the photos.
Read more...
 
RACIST VIOLENCE REPORT FOR 2018 - The antisemitic attacks Print E-mail
Wednesday, 24 April 2019 07:25

Athens, 19.4.2019- The Racist Violence Recording Network (RVRN) presented yesterday April 18, 2019,  their annual report, which analyses findings of racist violence and hate crime across Greece in 2018, recorded by the 46 organizations participating in the Network. From January to December 2018, the RVRN documented, through interviews with victims, 117 incidents of racist violence, with more than 130 victimsIn 74 incidents the victims were migrants or refugees on grounds of ethnic origin, religion, colour, associations of third country nationals, human rights defenders due to their connection with refugees and migrants, as well as a memorial to the victims of shipwrecks. In six (6) incidents, Greek citizens were targeted due to their colour, foreign or ethnic origin. In nine (9) incidents, the targets were Jewish sacred or symbolic places and the Jewish community and in one (1) incident the target was a Greek citizen due to educational activity against anti-Semitism or perceived religion. In 27 incidents the targets were LGBTQI+ persons, including five (5) refugees, asylum-seekers and EU citizens. In 59 incidents more than one victim was targeted, whereas in 63 incidents the assault was committed by a group of at least two people. 

For more information see here the site of the RVRN. See here the full report in pdf.

Excerpt from the report (p. 19) on antisemitism: In 2018, the RVRN recorded 9 anti-Semitic attacks. In particular, there were 6 incidents of desecration of Holocaust memorials in Athens and Thessaloniki, 2 incidents of desecration of the Jewish cemetery in Nikaia and Trikala as well as 1 incident of vandalism of the synagogue in Volos. In these incidents the perpetrators drew Nazi symbols or words and slogans referring to the Holocaust, threatening the Jewish community as a whole. Additionally, there was an incident against a teacher, who is being harassed severely due to his educational activity against anti-Semitism.

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Page 4 of 71

Copyright KIS.gr  - Powered by Netmasters O.E. 2009